There are some words and phrases you’ll just never hear come out of certain peoples’ mouth.
Like, you’ll never hear from a UK basketball fan “Wow, that was a close game. I like it when the teams are evenly matched like that.” No, what you’ll hear a Kentucky basketball fan say is “What the heck is going on!? They only won by 10! They’re just not the powerhouse team they were back in the day…”
And you’ll never hear them say “Gee, I really miss the Eddie Sutton days.” Or “I totally understand why Rick Patino would want to coach at Louisville, and I totally supported his decision.” And “I didn’t even put UK in my March Madness bracket this year.”
Similarly, you’ll never hear a Cincinnati Bengals fan say “Nah, my Bengals have never let me down.” Or “I’m really surprised they lost that game in the last 10 minutes – never saw THAT coming!” Or “That game had some great refs! They really played like crap, but the refs were spot on when it came to making those calls!”
In that vein, there are things you’ll never hear a Southern cook say either…
- Honey, I think this has too much bacon in it.
- Oh, Lord, don’t put so much barbecue sauce on it, you’ll cover up the flavor of the meat.
- Nah, I don’t have any particular recipe for making collards… I just throw them in the pot and go.
- Hmmmm… this probably has too many calories in it already, I’ll just use this low-fat margarine instead of butter.
- Honestly, there’s really no difference between store bought, homegrown and hothouse tomatoes.
- You mean people make biscuits that don’t come out of a can?
- Of course it’s vegan!
- My mother never cooked that well when we were growing up to be honest.
- BOILED peanuts? Ewwww.
- Absolutely, I use measuring cups and measuring spoons! How on earth are you supposed to get the recipe right without them?
- I think I’ll make steamed veggies tonight.
- Rats, I’m out of Cajun seasoning…. I guess I’ll just switch to Greek.
- I think this tea has too much sugar in it… Where’s the mint?
- I always put cinnamon and cocoa in my chili for a really hip taste.
- I think we’ll just have sub sandwiches at the tailgate party this weekend.
- I don’t even think I HAVE a recipe that calls for cooking anything more than two hours.
- Lord, yes, I love my instapot!
- There’s no art to barbecue, you just throw it on the grill and walk away for a few hours. Easy as pie.
- You’ve just got to try my new recipe for quinoa flavored with jicama and harissa. It’s just to DIE for….
- You can’t fry everything…
Okay – your turn!
Are there things YOU think no good Southern cook would ever say?
Leave them in the comments below!
Copyright Liz Carey, LLC 2018